Thursday 12 June 2008

U810 Buttons and Touchscreen Part 2

Have done some hacking to the fsc_btns code and now it can detect a U-series system using DMI and locate the button controller which gives me access to the three buttons at the bottom of the screen, the dedicated Ctrl-Alt-Del button and the Up-Fn-Down triplet by the mouse nub. Now I just need to decide which keycodes to assign to them and work out how to make the Fn button a sticky modifier key. Then I'll feed the code back to the sourceforge project.

While testing for scancodes and events to work out which key is which, I've verified that the volume control rocker generates the correct scancodes but the Fn-A/S/D screen controls generate nothing (so more work required then).

As audio volume doesn't work, the Intel audio config is obviously stuffed. There's a longish page in the OpenSuSE support database on this subject to be worked through

Editing code on the U810 has been quite a good exercise in getting used to the keyboard - to the extent that I find myself reaching for Alt-Space on a regular keyboard instead of Tab and trying to use shifted cursor keys. I do think the A-row could be moved over a few mm though (make the :; skinny and you have room for a slightly displaced skinny Tab too). Yes, I have seen the U2010 keyboard.

No comments: