Since it's the XPressMusic let's start with media synchronisation. Plug in the USB cable and select Media Transfer mode which should bring it up in MTP mode. I've had Amarok working with a Creative Zen in MTP mode so this should work - create an MTP device in the Amarok Configuration and click Connect. No such luck, hmmm.
The Packman repository has a new libmtp which is worth a try. Uninstall the old libmtp, Amarok and all the dependencies so we start clean. Then select libmtp8 and Amarok - things are looking better but a couple of things to note...
- The 5800 takes an age to respond to MTP connection setup so be patient. Running mtp-detect will appear to hang for 10-20 seconds before dumping out device capability info. Amarok does the same.
- If you change the 5800 USB connection mode (say from PC Suite to Media Transfer) while it is connected then libmtp/udev get very confused. Best to disconnect/reconnect to do this.
- PC Suite mode seems to be an MTP mode as well, though with a different device ID (0421:0154) than Media Transfer (0421:0155)
- My 5800 came with a load of guff on the Micro SDHC card which you probably want to clean off (dump a copy somewhere just in case...)
- Selecting ring tones seems to want to list every MP3 on the phone as an option which is very tiresome when you've got 1000+ songs on the thing. Best to configure your profiles with the SDHC card unplugged or before you've loaded up.
I have just put the new V20 firmware on the 5800 - many irritiations are fixed/improved and perhaps MTP is slightly less glacial.