Thursday 18 October 2018

Unihertz Atom Setup

Just got a Unihertz Atom phone to replace (partially) my Jelly Pro. It's quite a bit thicker but an awful lot faster. Hopefully the additional power consumption of the CPU and RAM is covered by the bigger battery. With Android 8.1 the Jelly gives me a day of good usage, which is much better than it managed with the Android 7.0 that it shipped with.

My setup on the Jelly developed over several iterations but I intend to largely replicate it on the Atom so here it is.

First of all, after letting Android update, I need to disable various bits, both to improve battery life and limit the amount of data I send to Google. In the Apps Lis,t I disable, force stop and delete the data of...
  • Drive - I'm not going to be working on any documents and presentations on a screen this small!
  • Duo - Cute, don't need
  • Gboard - Only marginally usable on a device this small
  • Gmail - Crap
  • Google - If I really need it, I can fire it up in a browser, didn't miss it on the jelly
  • Google Pay Movies - Are you kidding me, on that screen?
  • Google Play Music - I've got my own stuff ripped
  • Keep - Nope
  • Maps - I want proper downloadable maps
  • Pedometer
  • Photos - Not really going to use this for photo viewing 
  • Talkback - Not needed
  • Trackback - Not needed
  • Zello - I want to use the PTT button for something else
I also disable Backup (under the Google section in Settings) since I have Nextcloud for that. The PTT button is linked to the Camera App (under Smart Assistant| Shortcut button) - mainly for taking pictures of receipts for expenses.

Now the Apps that I do install:
  • AquaMail - much better than Gmail, especially the widgets and multiple account handling
  • BBC iPlayer - Mainly for things linked from the News App
  • BBC News - again a nice widget
  • BBC Weather 
  • Fujifilm Camera Remote - for my X-T20
  • CardDAV-Sync - My contacts sync to my NextCloud server, not Google
  • DROIDCam - My GPD Pocket doesn't have a Webcam, which is generally a good thing for privacy, sometimes, however...
  • FolderSync Pro - Syncs the rest of the stuff on the phone with NextCloud, mainly my music
  • HERE WeGo - Downloadable maps and navigation courtesy of the ex-NavTech/Nokia guys
  • Minuum - Keyboard/predictive text for small screens/fat fingers
  • Nova Launcher - it's just better
  • PasswdSafe - No Google/Chrome you're not doing password autofill for me either
  • TuneIn Radio Pro - It's got a headphone socket!
Next, I fire up HERE WeGo and start the download of maps for all of Europe and N. America which will keep it busy while I set up email and Next Cloud sync...

   

1 comment:

Braeden said...

Keep the posts on the Atom coming! It's such an interesting phone. I'm interested in battery life and photo quality. Also interested in your opinions on living with a small phone. I'll check out what you wrote about the Jelly.