Monday 20 July 2009

Kingspec ZIF SSD

Just ordered a 64GB Kingspec ZIF SSD - we shall see how it performs. I am tempted to go back to OpenSuSE 11.0 when I get it - having discovered that Bluetooth and the external monitor handling are not working in 11.1.

With the SSD in I'll use the 32GB CF card in the slot as additional backup store. I used to use it for mounting CF cards from my camera but in-camera formatted cards don't mount properly (it's a Fuji S9500 with the mysterious V1.3 firmware) so I'm using a USB cable instead. As the CF slot on the U810 is so slow, it's arguably quicker downloading this way anyway.

2 comments:

ymlccc said...

Hi Neil,
Nice blog and thanks for the information. I am just wondering how's the kingspec 64GB doing in the U810 so far? Are you happy with its performance?

I am debating between Mtron 32GB ZIF2 or 64GB Kingspec...

thanks a lot for sharing.

Best regard,

Terry

Neil Jefferies said...

Kingspec is working well at the moment - with the system tuning I have outlined. It's much faster than the old Toshiba HDD - probably not as fast as the Mtron but 10sec to resume from disk is good enough for me.